- Ph.D. Student in Public Policy and Economics
Duke University – Sanford School of Public Policy, Durham, NC
- M.A. Economics February 2013
Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- M.S. Applied Statistics May 2011
California State University at Long Beach, Long Beach, CA
- B.S. Applied & Computational Mathematics August 2006
University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA
Orange Coast Community College, Costa Mesa, CA
RECENT WORK EXPERIENCE
- Research Assistant, Durham Children’s Data Center (DCDC), Duke University (Jan 2017 – Present)
- I’m helping analyze data from Durham County Social Services for DCDC and my dissertation. I’m working with Dr. Ken Dodge, Dr. Beth Gifford, and my co-chair, Dr. Anna Gassman-Pines.
- Data Scientist (Part-time), TransLoc, Durham (September 2016 - December 2016)
- Helped refine the multitudes of metrics available to the product team into understandable, actionable information, working exclusively in R. Favorite packages: flexdashboard, DT, highcharter, and the tidyverse (dplyr, readr, tidyr, etc)
- Data Science Intern, TransLoc, Durham (May 2016 - August 2016)
- Helped develop products and packages that simplify working with and understanding transit data. Also learning/experimenting with implementing the “agile” development philosophy but for data science.
- Research Assistant, Duke-UNC BECR Center, Duke University (Jan 2015 – May 2016)
- Investigated food purchasing behavior, food-related health outcomes, and food assistance policy (SNAP/WIC). The aim was to uncover trends that can help BECR design behavioral nudges to improve food choices. Also helped write papers/proposals and providing analytical results (graphics, tables, etc).
- Teaching Assistant, Sanford School of Public Policy, Duke University (Spring 2015)
- Co-taught PubPol 590 Applied Big Data Science Energy Data Analytics and Policy with Dr. Matthew Harding. Students learned introductory theory about causal inference (taught by Harding) and how to use Python to analyze large datasets and do basic econometric modeling and machine learning (taught by me). The goal was for students to finish the class with the capacity to do basic consulting for energy companies.
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- “The Effectivenes of the Double Up Food Bucks Incentive” (Main Dissertation Chapter)
- Investigating the effectiveness of targeted fruit and vegetable subsidies as a policy for improving the health of SNAP beneficiaries.}
- “Understanding the Statistical Properties of IRI Store-based and House-based Scanner Data” with Matthew Harding and Ya Xue (USDA Grant)
- Analysis of food scanner data the USDA purchased from IRI. The goals of the grant can be broadly categorized into assessing the suitability of the IRI for nutrition policy research and comparing the IRI data to other publicly available data sets.
- R – 5+ years of experience. Preferred programming language. Expert user of
R markdown enthusiast.
- Stata – 6+ years. Taught 3 courses with Stata. Used for quickly testing regression models.
- Python – 2+ years. Competent user of
pandas. Taught a program evaluation class using Python.
- Matlab – 2+ years. Primarily used to learn and tinker with Machine Learning.
- SAS – 2+ years of experience but last used in 2011 as part of my M.S. in Applied Statistics.
- SQL – 1 year. Used to extract data fom mySQL server via
RODBC. Knowledge of basic querying and preprocessing.
- gtfsr – for mapping and validation GTFS data.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Merit Based Fellowship (Economics), Georgetown University (2011 – 2015)
- 2010 STIPDG Outstanding Intern Award, US Department of Transportation (Summer 2010)
- Fletcher Jones Fellowship, University of California at Irvine (Awarded but chose not to pursue Ph.D.) (Fall 2006)
- Dean’s Honor List, University of California at Irvine (Winter 2005 – Spring 2006)
- Early Transfer (Academic Excellence), Orange Coast College to UCI (Winter 2005)
- President’s List for Academic Excellence, Orange Coast College (Fall 2003 – Fall 2004)
- Community College Scholarship Recipient, Hispanic Education Endowment Fund (HEEF) (Fall 2004)
- Dual citizen of Chile and the US
- Native Spanish-speaker.
- Avid Ultimate Frisbee player.